I love that feeling you get on January 1st. Each year you wait anxiously for the clock to strike midnight and then it’s time! Time to embrace the new year ahead of you. There will be new memories and accomplishments, new friends and purchases, new opportunities and obstacles. The most important thing is to have a vision of where you want to be a year from now. Without one, you’ll wind up coasting through the next 12 months and realize on December 31st that you haven’t really done anything.
There were two exercises that I did to prepare for the end of 2016. The first was the Unravel Your Year 2017 workbook. The second was filling out a Level 10 Life plan, which can be explained in more depth in this post by Kara at Boho Berry. By the time New Year’s Eve came around, I had a fabulous list of goals that got me excited!
Level 10 Life
The Level 10 Life exercise asks you to divide your life into 10 major categories and evaluate how satisfied you are in each area on a scale of 1-10. The goal is to start taking action towards increasing your satisfaction in each area until you reach level 10 satisfaction in all 10 areas. I changed a couple category names to better fit my lifestyle and spent some time honestly thinking about how happy I am with each area of my life.
When I sat down to fill out this exercise I thought it would be difficult to come up with ways to improve my satisfaction each category, but I found the ideas poured out of my pen. I wound up coming up with three goals for each category, giving me 30 goals to slay in 2017.
Family & Friends
- Text first – I used to be pretty good about touching base with friends that I don’t see often but I know I could be making a better effort these days.
- Invite people out instead of sitting around all day! – There are so many places in Miami that I’ve never been to and I’m sure I could find people to adventure out with me from time to time.
- Talk to my parents more – If there’s anything 2016 has shown us, it’s that life is too short!
- 52 Lists for Happiness journal – My word for 2017 is Happiness and I can’t wait to start filling this beautiful little journal out!
- Write personal reflections weekly – When life gets busy I tend to forget to write in my personal journal. I absolutely want to bring writing back into my life this year.
- Declutter the entire apartment – We have way too much stuff in this tiny apartment and some of it needs to get donated ASAP.
- Practice more tarot – Tarot is something I have had an interest in for years and while I’ve owned a deck since I was 12 years old, I still don’t use it nearly as often as I would like to.
- Expand my spirituality journal – Six months ago I started a spirituality journal and I completely stopped writing in it shortly after. I miss it!
- Create a list of mantras – This one is important because I could use more positivity and encouragement in my day to day life.
- Pay off debt from the wedding – Slowly but surely we are getting closer to paying off all of our wedding costs.
- Budget! – I am the queen of frivalous spending and I need to get that under control.
- Reorganize papers in filing box – I keep all of my important documents in a filing box. It’s been more than a year since I’ve cleaned it all out so, yeah… gotta get on top of that!
- Research my career options – It’s time to stop wondering what I want to do with my life and start taking steps towards finding out!
- Fill out 2 job applications per month – Hopefully I will fill out more than just two a month but this will be my bare minimum. I need to start somewhere!
- Find an additional part-time job – This is a flexible goal. If I don’t find a new full-time job by the spring, I am going to pick up another part-time job so I can get that extra cash money.
- Get my last name legally changed – The process of changing my last name has been overwhelming so I put it off until after the holidays. Now that it’s January it’s time to get the ball rolling!
- Create a date night list – I am the queen of wanting to go out but not being able to come up with anywhere to go besides our usual spots.
- Be more sponaneous!
- Read 24 books – I read 19 and a half books in 2016 which was honestly better than I would have thought. I want to go bigger this year so my goal is to read 2 books every month.
- Watch 10 movies on my watch list – I used to be obsessed with going to the movies but over the past year I really stopped watching them. There are quite a few that I want to make time to see this year.
- Pick up a new hobby
- Get She’s Bernadette up and running again – I took a hiatus at the end of last year but I’m feeling refreshed and exciting to write again. I was so tired of what my blog turned into and I hope that it morphs into something beautiful this year.
- Reorganize my blog’s home page – It’s a bit of a hot mess, if we’re being honest here.
- Learn a new skill that would benefit SB – Graphic design is something I’ve been wanting to dip my toe into for awhile now. I ordered the Adobe Illustrator Classroom in a Book and I am waiting on pins and needles for it to get to my doorstep!
- Create a cleaning schedule – I actually just did this last weekend with the hopes of keeping my apartment looking fresher this year.
- Back up computer files every month – I am so terrible at remembering to do this… but I added it to my cleaning schedule so that should help.
- Clean out my car – I honestly can’t tell you the last time I thoroughly cleaned the inside of my car. I don’t keep trash in my car, but I know there’s a lot of leaves and dirt in the trunk and on the floor. So gross!
- Lose 20 pounds this year! – For the first time ever I am actually excited about my weight-loss journey. The hard part will be beating my procrasination and laziness.
- Run 4x a week – I started to go for runs a few weeks ago and while I usually average 2-3 per week I would love to boost that number up to 4.
- Start meal planning – I admit that I am totally clueless about meal planning so this will be a ton of trial and error, but I will get there!
I’m sure that some of these goals will change as the year goes on but I need to start somewhere! Even though my biggest priorties for 2017 are my health and career goals, I definitely plan to nuture all ten areas of my life this year. What goal did you set for 2017 that are making you burst with excitement?!
Note: This is not a sponsored post 🙂